General journalism …
- Former NY mayor Michael Bloomberg’s $50 million anti-gun effort rolls into Texas, with ground support from Moms Demand Action. I reported for Al Jazeera America.
- The tragic case of a pregnant woman on life support highlights political tensions in the Lone Star State, particularly regarding ‘pro-life until birth‘ politicians. I reported for Al Jazeera America.
- Hundreds of armed folk gathered outside the Alamo to express their Second Amendment right to bear arms. I covered the rally — carefully — for Al Jazeera America.
- What do people in some of the reddest counties outside Austin think of the federal shut-down? I asked them for Al Jazeera America and they told me about guns, U.S. border patrol agents, over-spending, Obamacare and doctored $10 bills.
- Before I was a writer, I was a health policy analyst on the other side of the pond. I also used to work for the UK’s hospital association, which is how – when I crossed the Atlantic — I got to be lucky enough to write for The Texas Hospital Association. I’ve written about the Baldrige quality criteria, the role that Texas hospitals play in local communities, how rural hospitals make health IT meaningful, a profile of Memorial Hermann CEO Dan Wolterman, how Texas hospitals deliver quality infant care, how Texas’ underfunded mental health system shifts a costly burden to emergency rooms, and how changing hospital culture brings about improvements in patient safety.
- Wondering what eight things you should stop doing NOW for a sleeker, summertime you? Wonder no more after checking out this Glamour.com slideshow.
- I wrote a feature for the literary online mag, Fringe, about the crazy experience of having written a story that garnered some media interest. Not all journalists are created equal. It was hard to deal with some of them once my story had developed a life of its own.
- Before I moved to the U.S., I wrote policy reports and web copy for the official website of the National Health Service (www.nhs.uk). Alas, that was years ago and the site has been rewritten countless times since then. Such is the way of the web. If you’re really interested, I’m happy to send you some screenshots.